Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Days 5 and 6: Voting and Prayers

While I'm definitely thinking about what I'm thankful for day-to-day, it does appear to be challenging to write about it every single day especially during busy weeks like this one! So today will be for yesterday and today. Going ahead, I may not post every day, but I will surely cover all 30 days when I do!

Gosh, as if everyone everywhere wasn't talking about voting anyways...I have to go ahead and add it to this too. This is the dialogue that is going on in my mind right now, but the truth is that this blog is a record of my life, something my family and I can look back to and say...oh yeah! I remember that! So yes, I am talking about voting.

Don't worry, I'm not going to make this yet another political rant. Instead, I just want to say that I'm thankful for the opportunity to cast my vote. I'm thankful that we live in a time and in a country where I can voice my opinion and have my voice somewhat heard via casting my ballot. I think we, as a society, lose site of this. We most likely forget about this sentiment because during this campaign time, so much hostility surfaces. It's actually saddening to see so many unproductive arguments take place due to differing opinions. Don't get me wrong--I feel strongly about my voting choices and the political candidates and issues I vote for; however, I also feel strongly about the ability to carry on conversations with people who have differing opinions without being offensive, abrasive, or breaking relationship ties. Having the ability to listen and carry on dialogue doesn't mean that you are allowing people to change your mind. To me it means that I'm acknowledging the fact that we are different, but that I still have a larger obligation to love and care for people regardless.

I am thankful for living in a nation that I can vote. It's liberating! I actually get excited to go to the polls, greet the same lovely ladies who check my name off and hand me my ballot every year. It's kind of cool to stand at your little booth and work your way through the complex language of the ballot issues. I love that when I am finished with my ballot, it's always the same cute, old man who instructs me to tear off the bottom tabs and insert my ballot into the scanner one at a time. Oh and then we get the sticker! Can't forget about the very cool, fashionista sticker that I get to sport for the rest of the day! Then I get to oogle over the baked goods for the PTA bake sale and make my donation in exchange for some delicious home baked goods! Yumm!

So after all of these descriptions, I bet you're wanting to know our personal choices for voting day....Well, Bryan got chocolate covered pretzels. I got peanut butter cookies with the peanut butter cups in the middle. :) Haha

Moving on...

I am also thankful for prayers. We are so blessed to have so many prayer warriors amongst our family and friends. Whenever we are in need it is so nice to know that we have been blessed with people who are willing to appeal to God on our behalf right alongside us. When we are feeling down and out, we have people who are constantly keeping us lifted up in prayer. Like I've said in past posts, I just love Matthew 18: 19, 20. There is something so special about a community of believers praying together! Joining in purpose to pray! You all know about our number one prayer request right now (babies) and I'm just so thankful to know that so many of my family and friends have reached out to me to let me know that they're praying. I believe the Bible to be the living truth and so I know that God hears our prayers based on His promise in Matthew 18:19, 20. So to all of my praying warriors: Thank you, thank you, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment